Friday, March 02, 2007

moments

I'm behind on everything. On my to-do list, on blogging, on laundry. The only thing I can say I've been doing quite well at is taking these remaining weeks to spend time with friends - and I'm treasuring the moments I'm able to do so. It's the little things that give me that little pang in my heart - the calls from a friend who is in the neighborhood and wants to meet for coffee, the setting up a brunch date on what I know will be a sunny Sunday. Being able to see my best friend who has just moved to L.A. and simply spend the day with her. There have been concerts, and dinners, and simply wandering about with some of my favorite people - and how I will leave these, the simplest of moments, I don't know.

I didn't realize how bittersweet all of this would be. My excitement has been so big for so long in planning this adventure that I didn't realize that saying goodbye could be so hard. A few days ago my friend Josh and I were staring at a very choppy sea and contemplating surfing, and he told me he'd had a total cry fest the day before thinking about me moving. It was so touching - having a moment to realize that to someone's daily life my absence will be felt (and by the way, how awesome is a guy who can admit he cries?). How lucky am I to have someone who cares about me that much? It's these moments that I'm trying to record - to store up so I can revisit them when I need them most. Because as emotional as this week was (and it really wiped me out in a lot of ways), I have a feeling I have no idea what lies ahead.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

If you can have such a positive effect on people just by being in their lives, it is great to think about all the good you can do when you are actively trying to in Africa.

3/02/2007 5:42 AM  
Blogger Foofa said...

It's always bittersweet when a friend moves. You are happy that they are doing something fun and exciting in their life and you have all kinds of good wishes for them. Then you think of how empty your own life will be without them and it is a little sad. I think the good always outweighs the bad though.

3/02/2007 9:42 AM  
Blogger Indiana James said...

Leaving just makes you appreciate what you have and you get through it by looking forward to enjoying them again. You will go and you will have all the more experiences to share when you get back. Sounds like he is quite moved by you too.

3/02/2007 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Consider yourself blessed! We've lived in NM for a year & a half and will be moving in six months - when we move, the hardest thing to say goodbye to will be the mountains. We just haven't made any close friends here. I hope we fare better in our next destination!
Random question from my s/o - why do you link to "the original" Dooce - is there a fake one?
:)

3/03/2007 9:18 AM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

Peter - aw shucks, thanks :)

Natalie - that is my new mantra, "the good outweighs the bad."

James - there really is nothing so sweet as catching up with a dear friend when you haven't seen them in awhile - I hate that I'm trading some of the more frequent visits, but I do look forward to these times in the future!

Dionna - It sounds like you're making the right choice in moving then - I hope your next destination brings beautiful scenery but even more beautiful friendships. That's the one good thing about moving - you never know what wonderful things lay ahead!

Re: Dooce - I don't know of any imposters, I just put "original" because I think of her as one of the original bloggers. She doesn't go back quite as far as some - but the whole practice really exploded when she got fired and famous for it, and her writing is still fantastic :)

3/03/2007 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home