Thursday, February 15, 2007

Exit strategy

It's official, I am unemployed. As my boss was giving me my "exit interview" today one of the questions was, "are you currently pursuing other employment?" I can just imagine the HR analyst who reviews my interview and sees my answer of "no" and questions, "who is this idiot that quit and not only has no job lined up, but isn't even looking?" Allow me to quote the Spartan cheerleaders: "IT'S ME! IT'S ME!"

Today was a completely draining day. It put everything into perspective for me - my attempts to leave gracefully (almost achieved though I did leave my replacement with a few more piles of un-filed papers than I'd have liked to), the great people I feel like I've only started to get to know - the days of sitting and dreaming about the future that is suddenly here.

My final little going away shin dig this afternoon was totally Africa themed. There were animals on the cake, a leopard print background and loads of puzzle games and an electronic Texas hold 'em for the long ride over. My co-workers all signed a frame with well wishes and a lot of "good luck not being eaten by lions." I told them that if anything of the sort happens I'll be sure to get a picture as the entertainment value would be priceless.

As I sit here exhausted I realize that this is a lot like finishing college. Just as I sometimes have nightmares that I have a paper due or a final exam for a class I've never attended - it will take some getting used to that my job is no longer my job. The things I worried about, the skills I didn't quite have - the tasks I could never quite complete - I'm done with them all. And I got to leave on the best of notes - with many smiling faces and words of encouragement from people I truly admire. It does make this all more real, somehow. In my head I thought I'd already confronted this goodbye, that I was prepared for it. Perhaps I am, and yet still - I'm not quite sure I can wrap my head around it. Unemployed. Operating entirely on the fancy of none other than myself. Wow.

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

An African-themed party. How cute is that?

Congrats on this milestone!

And if you do happen to get eaten by a lion (or many lions,) whenever I read ACN her Barney on Safari book, I'll replace "Barney" with "Megan" as a tribute. ;)

2/16/2007 4:23 AM  
Blogger Lemon Gloria said...

Congratulations! It's much safer to just stay on the expected path. So many people are just not brave enough to leap.

2/16/2007 7:10 AM  
Blogger Foofa said...

Congrats on finally being done. It is certainly the right thing to do. You're going to have such fantastic experiences and stories for the rest of your life. No job could compare to that.

2/16/2007 9:33 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Good for you. I think it's absolutely awesome.

2/16/2007 11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bang On to a new life saughter
Love Dad

2/16/2007 12:40 PM  
Blogger restless_river said...

How cool is this...the road less-travelled, life as it ought to be lived -- with daunting and a sense of adventure! (funny that I am in 'kinda same place' right now in my own journey.) Can be scary but heck, it is all good..so, godspeed to my fave blogger!

2/16/2007 3:22 PM  
Blogger Airam said...

Yes but unemployed by choice!

2/17/2007 8:48 AM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

Peter - that would be awesome if you could give me that shout out - I can't imagine a better tribute!

Lisa - True, true. I have a friend facing the same sort of decisions - I hope she reads this :)

Natalie - Thanks, I hope so!

H - muchas gracias!

Dad - thanks, I think that's my new phrase, "bang on."

Anne - Thanks! I hope you are finding your own ways to take risks and find adventure :)

Maria - True! I always make sure to mention that when I respond to, "so what do you do?" (at least in the last few days!).

2/17/2007 8:55 AM  
Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

When do you leave for Africa?

Enjoy every single minute of it, until my dying day I'll know my Middle East trip last year to be a huge turning point in my life.

It's all scary right now, but everything comes together when you least expect it to. Vive l'adventure!

2/17/2007 9:49 PM  
Blogger Ridwan said...

You will love South Africa. And you will be welcome here among all its people and cultures.

Having said that it would be great if folks recognize that there are no African "themes" or contexts that can be put into African typologies.

I fully expect that you will understand this more closely when you get here.

As for lions and leopards, well the first lion I saw was in a Portland (OR) zoo :)

OK, so bring your laptop. You will need a conversion plug that can be bought easily here.

You won't need much else. SA is a developed country quite different than the 'back-jungle' than some folks want to construct.

And in race terms, it is not much different than the US.

Pick up Steve Biko's "I write what I like" and Don Mattera's "Sophiatown" for background reading.

I really do wish you a warm welcome to SA. You gonna love this place. We all do :)

Peace,
Ridwan

http://ridwanlaher.blogspot.com/

2/18/2007 5:46 AM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Congrats on the job quitting!

I just caught up on like 3 or 4 posts, and I have to say, you're a helluva writer. I'm fixing to add you to my blogroll. Hope that's okay.

Congrats on the job quitting!

2/18/2007 7:10 AM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

FG - I leave March 18th :) Did you write about your Middel East trip at alL? I'd love to read about it if so!

Ridwan - Thank you for your insightful comments and warm welcome! I am very aware of how naive it is to thing of Africa as one culture or place. I know that in South Africa alone there are a multitude of people groups from throughout the world that now call it home. I cannot wait to experience this first hand - and thank you for the reading suggestions, I will look them up and be checking out your blog as well! Many thanks for stopping by!

Dr. Ken - Thanks so much - I truly appreciate that! Add away - I will return the favor of course :)

2/18/2007 1:45 PM  
Blogger X said...

It's funny how our jobs can define as so much without us realising it. I know I would have a little bit of an identity crisis if I ever switched fields.

PS: Love the Spartans reference! :)

2/18/2007 9:40 PM  
Blogger Salha said...

i think its really cool!! congrats!

2/19/2007 6:57 PM  
Blogger mysterygirl! said...

Congrats! And an African-theme party sound very fun-- I totally would have had a lame lion-eating comment for you. :)

2/19/2007 7:45 PM  
Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

My Middle East trip was written about in vast detail, check out the may archives!

2/19/2007 8:31 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

K - So true, but in this case I am welcoming the identity crisis at least :) SO glad you got the reference, btw!

uncommonly u - thanks for stopping by :)

mg! - well no worries, there were plenty of lion-eating jokes to go around :)

FG - I will be checking your archives for sure!

2/19/2007 10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great description of it - it's like leaving college. I left my job last month to move to CA and experienced the same thing - what do I do now? I feel it necessary even now to back it up with reasons why I left such a good job. But yes, unemployed by choice! Whee!

Congratulations!!

And can I also say that I said "awwww" out loud seeing a comment from your Dad? That's awesome.

(First time commenter, btw - popping in to say hi from Indie Bloggers! - stacy)

2/23/2007 4:19 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

Thanks Stacy! Welcome to California - I hope you like it here - I am a true cali snob, it's simply the best :)

And ya, I think it's pretty cute that my parents read my blog.

2/23/2007 7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home