Tuesday, February 06, 2007

mi nuevo masthead

I wrote a detailed post last night about my new masthead and how it happily came to be. Then I got trigger finger, accidentally clicked on one of my embedded links and lost the whole thing. Now, I'm operating on 3.5 hours of sleep and having just worked a local special election starting at 5:30 this morning...so here's to hoping the following is coherent...

I love this blogging thing. Ever since my ADD and my lack of interest in the world of budgets kicked into full gear last year I've counted blog exploration and now authorship as one of the highlights of my day. I absolutely love stumbling upon great writing, witty anecdotes, the pouring out of souls, or the day to day musings of people all over the globe. I especially enjoy those of you and your sites who have become a part of my blogroll and the commenting community here - the feedback I get ranging from basic encouragement to down right challenges brings a whole new meaning to the process of chronicling whatever journey I'm on. And when I need to get out of my head completely - I check out where each of you are at and the scene shifts in even more interesting ways.

One thing that I especially love about blogs though is just how visually unique every one's little piece of the Internet can be. I eagerly anticipate Dooce's new mastheads every month as she blends gorgeous brushes and patterns with her trademark humor and various symbolism from her posts. Of course she's a damn web design professional - and thereby fully out of my league design-wise.

But though I lack any (and I mean ANY) html or web design ability - I'm a creative gal and I have ideas that I've wanted to get onto my site, but didn't have the skills to do so. Enter Beth, a friend of a friend I met a few weeks ago at a Bachelorette party. She works for Hungry Girl as a producer but has a background in graphic design, and said she'd be willing to take a look at an idea I had for a masthead. Turns out she's beyond fantastic - I will show you the copy of the drawing I did for her in paint that she turned into the final product (I can't find it for some reason) - my version looked like it was drawn by a four year old.

Then - I turned to my trustiest of computer experts, my dear friend Eric who I met when he rescued me years ago from my first lap top that I'd managed to destroy within a week of purchasing - he's been by my side for technology needs and everything else ever since. Eric futzed around with blogger and got the formatting right - we'll probably still spend some time playing around with fonts and colors but at the very least - there's a bit of imagery to add to whatever randomness my so-called love life entails in the actual blogging department.

So thanks for the patience in the last few days and for reading this missive - and thanks Beth and Eric!

6 Comments:

Blogger Indiana James said...

It's funny how people's blogs can become part of our daily routines eh? Yours is definitely something that's looked forward to and the new art is great. Now that my blog viewing has potentially made me late for work, I'd better go. : )

2/07/2007 10:18 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Love the new masthead!

(And I feel your pain on the lack of web-design skills.)

I so agree on the enjoying blogs thing. It feels like a community of readers, commenters, supporters, etc. Everyone with different styles and perspectives.

I'm glad you joined my community. Or did I join yours...? Either way. :)

2/07/2007 12:04 PM  
Blogger S'Mat said...

yes! what a strange and wondrous little community the blogroll is!! so many strings of thought with so many pearls of wisdom dangling from them. i feel marooned if i can't get to them.

2/07/2007 12:24 PM  
Blogger Foofa said...

Blogworld is like a home away from home. Except for the fact that you can get there while still in your home.

2/07/2007 2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad it worked out!

2/07/2007 4:44 PM  
Blogger Airam said...

I love my blogroll ... and I love when I find a blog that, like a good book, I can't get enough of!

2/07/2007 4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home