Wednesday, January 24, 2007

As if hell hath frozen over...

Sometimes I'm just silly. I have this trip ritual that I fall into every time I have major travel coming up which involves assessing my closet and realizing that I have none of the "gear" I need to effectively take on my destination with confidence that I'm prepared for whatever mother nature or the activity gods might throw my way. Seriously, with as much as I have traveled, you'd think I would have the perfect travel purse, walking shoes, easily packable dress outfit and layers at the ready. While I do have some of the essentials that I've picked up over the years, I find myself once again (it's like clockwork), facing the reality that I have no appropriate footwear for this trip. Flip flops won't do (there are venomous snakes!) and I'm just not enough of a tennis shoe person to wear them every day, so I've been seeking out the perfect amphibious slip-on tenny. And then, in a moment of foot-zen the other night while I walked to the beach in my hand-me-down Uggs that are a full size too big, I decided, UGGS! Who wouldn't take sheepskin boots to one of the hottest places on the planet earth?! (Do you see how off-kilter my thought process is?)

But the fever had begun, and for the past 48 hours I have been obsessed with Uggs - convincing myself that as I will be there in the Autumn/winter portion of the KwaZulu Natal cycle, I might come up against some cold weather. And according to the guide books, there's no heating - so it can actually get uncomfortably chilly if you are not prepared. And as I ponder in the back of my mind living in a convent for two months, waking up super early and not being able to leave the living area at night on my own, I started to convince myself that the baby-soft comfort that Uggs might bring (Uggs that actually fit, mind you) could ease some of the unknowns swimming around my head by assuring that even if I'm sleeping with spiders the size of my fist, my feet will be living the good life.

And then, after purchasing said Uggs in a fit of shoppers frenzy as I realized once I started looking how hard they are to find in the exact color/height/size combo you would like (but there were three pairs left on Zappos!), I gently reminded myself YOU ARE GOING TO AFRICA TO HELP FEED BABIES WHO HAVE BEEN ORPHANED. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOMAN STOP OBSESSING ABOUT SHOES. And thus the mental preparation begins.

16 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Hee hee.

Well, as you know, if your feet aren't happy, then the rest of your body won't be either.

I say that you should spoil them right up. Plus, spiders HATE Uggs. True story.

1/24/2007 7:08 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

Oh, come on. You can wear flip flops while hiking. Just because creatures are dangerous doesn't mean they'll attack you.

Regards,

Steve Irwin


**Just kidding. Glad to hear that you're having fun.

1/24/2007 7:14 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Go save those babies! Good for you! For doing God's work, you deserve to pack some HOT shoes.

1/24/2007 8:11 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

well, UGGS are pretty sexy, if by sexy you mean large, fury and shapeless...

1/24/2007 10:28 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

if by sexy you mean large, fury and shapeless..

Historically, that's what I'VE meant by "sexy."

1/25/2007 7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are looking for some really good shoes to take with you to Africa that aren't too tennis shoey I would strongly recommend shoes made by GARMONT. In their Outdoor Fitness and TrailSport lines I believe that you'll find something to tickle your toes. They are an Italian company and that definitely reflects in their design. I think you will love them. www.garmont.com is the site. If you are looking for more of a light boot I would say go with DANNER. They are much more of a meat and potatoes kind of company, but they make unbelievably comfortable boots that won't fail. www.danner.com is their site.

Random Guy

1/25/2007 7:43 AM  
Blogger Foofa said...

shoes are an incredibly important purchase. Not as important as working with orphans in Africa of course but still major. You probably won't indulge in too much shopping while you are there so I say go for it now!

1/25/2007 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not being silly!

I've observed a tendency in myself where, when I'm stressed about something, particulary something vast and unknowable (and therefore out of my control) like your trip to Africa must feel for you, my brain will grasp at small, mundane things for tethering and a sense of comfort. Maybe the shoe thing is like that for you? Shoes literally ground us to the earth. Besides, footwear is fun! :)

As for 'large, furry, and shapeless' it MUST be slightly sexy . Otherwise, how do you explain why yaks are still around?

1/25/2007 8:52 AM  
Blogger X said...

I will always obsess about shoes...it's in my blood. We're allowe4d....embrace it. OWN IT.

And I'm exactly like you.....well travelled....and never prepared! :P

1/25/2007 11:12 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

Haha. I always go through that before going somewhere too. Before I moved to China, I spent about a hundred dollars at Target on I don't even know what. One thing I'd recommend though, is Immodium. Sorry, but it can really come in handy.

And shoe searching (I almost wrote sole-searching, yuck) sounds like a job for eBay...

1/25/2007 11:12 AM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

Oh you've all made me feel so much better about this :) And Sadia - you have hit the nail on the head! That is completely it.

Thanks for the recommendations - and the affirmation that large/fury/shapeless can be sexy - I promise not to wear them with a mini-skirt (has this fad made it's way out of Orange County yet?).

1/25/2007 11:23 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

You make me laugh.
But, if it helps any, the first time I ever saw Uggs, was in Australia.
Where it was freaking hot.

1/25/2007 7:03 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

oh my gosh folks, they came in the mail today. That is some crazy free overnight shipping - I ordered them yesterday! But yes, I am in love, and no, I will not be doing my usual guilt-trip return tactic. I am keeping these lovely chestnut brown feet-happy boots with me, whether they go to Africa or not...

1/25/2007 11:13 PM  
Blogger Indiana James said...

Yeah, that trend made it's way out of the OC and even across the boarder as sad as I am to say... Footwear... New Balances. I'm a fan of them big time.

1/26/2007 4:37 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

This post proves we'd make great friends. Hilarious.

1/27/2007 9:06 AM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

James - I am with you on the NB's!

Megan - we're totally doing coffee before I leave - shoot me an email!

1/27/2007 12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home