Thursday, January 18, 2007

...you answer

We joined him at the last available table in the place. I couldn't figure out if he was alone, or simply sitting out a few dances and waiting for a girlfriend to return. After a few drinks it was clear he was on his own, though he looked totally at ease and appeared to be enjoying himself. After awhile we started to chat, and though with the music and the noise of the bar I couldn't discern from where, I realized there was a bit of an accent making its way into our conversation. I asked him where he was from, "just outside Paris," he responded.

The night wore on - we danced, as a group at first, then bit by bit just the two of us. He brushed my hand, my hip - held the base of my back and moved with me. He met my smile with bright blue eyes time and time again.

We went outside for awhile to get some fresh air, sitting face to face on stools, my hands in his to keep warm as we talked. And even more than the air of romance, there was fun. Giggles and coyness and not wanting the night to end.

The lights came on, the music ended. We left the floor to walk, hand in hand, in Paris' shadow.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger MontrealGurl said...

Hey girl! You hafta-hafta-hafta tell me the rest of this story. I totally get the whole "romance is somehow sweeter when you're not in your hometown." It's happened to me a couple of times sans adorable French accent but anyway that's a story for a whole other blog and likely doesn't have the romantic ending yours does.
...moving on...
I haven't completely left the blogging world but it seems that I haven't been able to find the time to update and with each day that passes there is that much more piled on to write about then the whole exercise seems daunting. I'll try to discipline myself sometime soon.
Cheers!

1/18/2007 7:54 AM  
Blogger Foofa said...

OOOOHHHH that sounds like so much fun! With his accent the magic of a foreign romance isn't lost.

1/18/2007 8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew my fake French accent could fool you...

Random Guy

1/18/2007 10:07 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Please tell us you at least got his phone number?!

1/18/2007 11:52 AM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

Montrealgurl is back! So glad to see you and looking forward to your updates - ya just "hafta" start somewhere :)

Nat - le sigh...

Random guy - you crack me up. I wish I knew if you were truly Random, or just hiding your real identity from me?

h - we're hanging out again before he leaves for Paris...where he lives...

1/18/2007 12:40 PM  
Blogger Indiana James said...

Why haven't you written a book yet? Chapter 2 is eagerly anticipated and this is coming from a guy... And no randomness here, kinda. ;P

1/18/2007 3:27 PM  
Blogger Airam said...

Funny how you kept wondering if you should hold that other guy's hand in the theatre (if it was premature) and then with the Parisian it just came naturally. I sense more stories will come our way ...

1/18/2007 4:19 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

That's so sweet! I can't wait to hear how things are progressing...

1/18/2007 5:14 PM  
Blogger Thatdanblogger said...

Lloyd: What the hell are we doing here, Harry? We gotta get out of this town!
Harry: Oh yeah, and go where? Where are we gonna go?
Lloyd: I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen.
Harry: Oh, I don't know, Lloyd. The French are assholes.

(DUMB AND DUMBER)

1/18/2007 10:21 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

So what happened? Don't leave us hanging...

1/19/2007 2:47 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

more to come - just taking some time to process things. Not sure why I keep falling for people that live in different countries...

Maria - great point!

1/19/2007 4:26 PM  
Blogger Lemon Gloria said...

Sounds lovely! So much fun!

1/19/2007 4:46 PM  
Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

Stated and written like a true MAC.

Well done.

1/19/2007 8:01 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

I too tend to fall for people from different countries or when I'm about to move. I think part of it is that you can be more open, it's less scary opening up to someone who lives on the other side of the world, whose rejection would be somehow less painful. Or something like that.

1/21/2007 11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home