Monday, January 08, 2007

a slight digression: my boobs made me do it

So date one was a great one (and I'm a poet, don't I know it?). Now, to figure out date two. I'd proposed surfing - only afterwards stopping to realize that that meant a) seeing me in a bathing suit and b) seeing me in all my surfing glory - namely ratty hair and not a smidge of makeup to accentuate the eyelashes. This wouldn't normally bother me, except this guy is a triathalete, and I'm, well, not. But no matter - surfing would be fun, so that's what we planned. Before that, however, I stopped by where he plays on Friday nights with my friend Ricky who'd taken me to his office Christmas party that night. The date had learned a new song by a guy I'd recommended which I wanted to hear (even though he'd told me he'd play it for me "anytime") and I knew I wouldn't be able to see him play again before the new year as I was leaving town shortly. To offer some insight into my neuroses, allow me to go off on a tangent about the outfit I wore that night.

A few years ago I splurged and bought a gorgeous silk skirt, top and cashmere sweater for a cousin's wedding. Let's just say while my mother has had not one, but TWO breast reductions, that while I inherited her shoulders, muscular frame and emotional issues - I didn't inherit anything by way of her boobs. I've worn this shirt maybe three times since I bought it, because while I fell in love with its pretty lace and beaded, scalloped neckline - I've got little to back it up and I end up looking, well, deflated.

Allow me to introduce my "very sexy" bra from Victoria Secret:

*(yes, this is a star, denoting a note at the end)

While I can't really believe I'm posting about this and actually posting a picture - I assure you I only do so because MY BOOBS HAVE NEVER LOOKED LIKE THIS, EVER (also my parents leave on a month long trip today and I'm hoping that they miss this post) - and it's all thanks to this bra. So, in a fit of "if you've got them, flaunt them" (which I have only said once, and it was this night while wearing this bra with this shirt), I decided to give my pricey purchase a little more time out of the closet, and wore it to the Christmas party.

Did I mention that I rarely have cleavage to deal with? You can ask Ricky - I was WILDLY uncomfortable (and not much in the conversation department, as more or less everything I said ended with, "have you seen my boobs!?!). I think I checked out my own chest more than any body else did - given that boobs to anyone else aren't really any thing new - but boobs to me, ON me, are TOTALLY NEW.

This tangent resolves here - I almost didn't stop by to see the date play because I was so self conscious. Now most girls (this is probably why I'm single) would see this as a prime opportunity to flaunt the goods. Not me. Not with someone I actually liked (who is getting a masters in Theology, I should mention). I didn't want to come across slutty - or anything other than my normal self, and this shirt - well it's not my normal self. So while we stopped by, and he played the song (I loved it), I spent the entire time talking to him with my hands up and clasped next to my cheek, attempting to disguise the boobs on their first night out. It drove Ricky crazy.

*I realize there's some weird crease action here - what can I say, small boobs were not meant to be propped up in such ways. I think it's mainly because of my lean though - lack of cleavage aside, this bra is SERIOUSLY amazing.

(What can I say? Blogging, in addition to being therapeutic, is a great place to wear the shirts you're too reserved to wear again in public!)

13 Comments:

Blogger Arthur Willoughby said...

It's reminiscent of the "Seinfeld" episode in which Elaine wears a similar bra in order to attract attention.

Might I say they look spectacular and I hope we see more of them in the future.

1/08/2007 2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, that would have been a flattering pic even if the girls hadn't shown up.

1/08/2007 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your boobs look HOT! I might walk around uncomfortable if I could find a way to hide my boobs. I wouldn't know what to do. They always go first.

1/08/2007 2:21 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

*blushing*

Natalie - like I said, if you've GOT them - FLAUNT them! Somehow it doesn't come across quite as intentional (i.e. slutty) when you can't help it - it's a little different when us less-endowed girls go to such trouble to get them out there - that shows purposefullness, ya know? Am I making sense?

1/08/2007 2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear ya, I hear ya... boob away, I say!

1/08/2007 3:19 PM  
Blogger Grad School Reject said...

I once wore a shirt like that but my wife got really mad.

Stupid double standards.

1/09/2007 4:50 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Right on, sistah! Now...all we need is a line from Victoria Secret that is compatible with surfing gear!
Let us know how it goes...

1/09/2007 6:11 AM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

Seriously folks - you would not believe how many people search blogger for "boobs" on a daily basis. I think this was probably a disappointing search result for them!

1/09/2007 1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's something to be said about a girl who presents herself in a way that says classy without being slutty and that picture clearly suggests the former. That's only my opinion. :P

1/10/2007 5:59 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

Hahahaha. How did I miss this post?

I am getting one of those bras being what one might call "waifish."

I wore a big boobs bra on my date too, and accidentally dropped a chickpea down my cleavage! Ah, the humiliation that is dating...

1/10/2007 7:59 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

Oh, and once you feel self-conscious about something, it's so hard to not focus on it. Seriously, don't worry about it. And maybe hiding the cleavage added mystery?

1/10/2007 8:00 AM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

Good point James - and gracias!

Eve - I need to check your blog and see if there's a date recap - that is hilarious! But definitely - this is a bra that's 100% worth it's price tag!

1/10/2007 11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is HILARIOUS! If I had been in your situation, it would have been the exact same way. I would have been checking out my cleavage more than anybody else! (And also feeling kind of uncomfortable, because I very rarely wear low-cut tops.) You go, girl! I liked the part about the surfing date, too. :)

1/10/2007 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home