Friday, January 12, 2007

throw back to the 50's

I'm starting to get a few Christmas pics from everyone who didn't have so much champagne that they erased their memory cards at the end of the night.



My family has started a new tradition where the younger generation prepares a multi-course Christmas dinner and serves it to the older generation. This was the second year of said tradition and we had a blast preparing everything - especially with Andrew Bird's "Fake Palindromes" playing in the back ground. If you haven't heard that song - look it up - it's a great soundtrack for food prep. My contribution was a dessert salad course - it's yummy, you should try it:

Layer some:
Arugula leaves
Thinly sliced fennel
Sliced Avocado
De-skinned and sliced grapefruit

To drizzle on top:
Mix Fresh squeezed OJ, Lemon juice, Olive Oil, White wine vinegar and pepper.

I'm not a food blogger so I'm not going to give you any measurements or instructions (plus I don't know the measurements as I lost the recipe and faked it this year - hope I didn't leave anything out!).

Also - if you are dying to have an apron like this of your very own, a family friend of ours makes them - you can find them here.

11 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

That sounds like a pretty fun tradition. Granted, my family wouldn't let me cook, I'd be moral support of some sort.

1/12/2007 3:23 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Is that a poco-dot apron with a red tube-top? I don't know much about cooking, but I know what I like.

1/12/2007 4:23 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

I think the apron throws off the outfit proportions. It's actually a dress - a bridesmaids dress (from the cousin standing behind me to the right's wedding) that I chopped the bottom off and made into a cocktail dress. Looks better sans apron. I wore it twice this Christmas because as any girl will tell you (especially one whose been a bridesmaid seven times...) - a bridesmaid dress that can be worn again is not to be taken for granted!

1/12/2007 4:39 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

That's so cute!

I'm glad you make your own dressings...

1/12/2007 4:49 PM  
Blogger Indiana James said...

I thought that there was some kinda crazy Strawberry Shortcake thing going on there... :P

1/13/2007 4:59 AM  
Blogger notfearingchange said...

i like that tradition....

1/13/2007 5:40 AM  
Blogger Grad School Reject said...

Good call on the Andrew Bird song. Do you have the entire album? If not, I highly recommend it.

The tradition sounds great too. I'm glad my family doesn't have it though because I am afraid the older generation would end up with a menu' of Canned Peaches, Tuna Fish, and Twinkies. Yeah - the younger generation in my family aren't so talented in the kitchen.

1/13/2007 7:37 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Adorable photo and the recipe sounds delicious!

1/13/2007 12:37 PM  
Blogger Obi-Mac BakDon said...

I love that picture!

1/14/2007 9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so forking cute.

1/14/2007 5:43 PM  
Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

Thanks for the recipe, and the apron link!!!!

(oh by the way - all my Christmas cookies were totally devoured. Would you mind waiting for the Easter glory for me to send you some? Sorry!)

1/14/2007 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home