Monday, January 07, 2008

annoyance

Contrary to the title of this post, I am in a fantastic mood. Somehow last night I managed to pull all sorts of life's little loose strings into a comprehensive ball-o-good intentions that I actually think I can keep. I've got a plan for getting an assortment of things in shape - from my finances, body and day to day life to my overall mental health. I think I've finally found my way back to the generally positive state of mind I'm most comfortable operating in.

However, there is one MAJOR thing irking me on this beautiful morning in which the weather outside (bright, after major storms all weekend) mirrors the weather inside.

POLITICS.

Those of my readers who know me in real life may remember the Megan of yester-year who was political to the point of fanaticism. The night before the Iowa caucases I saw this terrifying picture of an elderly woman in Iowa with American flag contacts (she looked like a patriotic devil), and it struck me that that's how I used to come off to people. This wasn't due to my crazy patriotism, but rather how damn SERIOUSLY I took politics. I had joined a group of like-minded peers in a collective dream we had to reinvent the Democratic party into a political change agent that actually acted on its founding principles. Oh, the naivety of youth - the countless hours and literal YEARS I spent working on this and alienating my Republican friends (and ex-boyfriend!).

Then came the election of 2004, the spirit-crushing defeat of the anyone-but-Bush lame-play made by the Democrats. In the midst of a war in which Americans soldiers and every-day Iraqies were dying brutal deaths, we made a choice as a country to STAY THE COURSE. It felt like an affront to all things good and holy. An affront to making choices that are good for all people, not just those with the most money. An affront to our environment, the used and abused resource so taken for granted by the world's leading nation. An affront to the idea of my faith - whose supporters could practically single-handedly take responsibility for re-electing the most ill-qualified President of all time.

After this, I threw in the towel. I stuck with 2020 for a bit more - trying like hell to make a change - and finally accepting the writing on the wall that the Democrats have no interest in changing the course. They don't get the significance of investing in new ideas, in new leaders - in a long term vision. The party's leaders passed up the opportunity to support or capitalize on their true base - the next generation. Gradually my political fervor died, and has yet to return.

But still, even in the almost completely cooled last embers of my former faith in the political process, a spark is raised when I see how our country is reacting to the Iowa caucus. One SINGLE caucus and suddenly all future caucuses and primaries are dismissed - it's assumed that the decision has been made - we have our front runner. Suddenly I face my own state's primary with no sense that my vote will mean anything - because my candidate may have already conceded to the polls and given up. It is INFURIATING how quickly we hand our power over in this country. It is DISGUSTING to me how shamelessly we relinquish the power of our votes by letting the polls and the pundits call the shots.

History and political heartbreaks aside, I want to believe that my vote still counts.

6 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

So incredibly well said, my friend. Thank you for writing this.

1/07/2008 4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Said:

I just want to give my two cents about the significance of the Iowa Caucus. Since the caucus is such a rare breed of electoral procedure, it indicates a mid-westerner point of view- that being "Red-Blooded American" (whatever the heck that means)- with good old American values (again, whatever the heck that means) coming out despite the freezing cold to nominate a candidate and spending their precious evening hours in doing so. Judging by the results, we can get a really good look about which candidate may or may not have the more motivated supporters- and motivated support is exactly what a winning candidate needs.

1/07/2008 5:21 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

You're very welcome, Megans unite!

Koojoe - glad to see by your comment you made it out of the mountains alive. You make a very good point - but at the same time only support my frustration. Iowans may reflect the American base and even the liklihood of Americans voting - but does that mean I should lose my right to cast a meaningful vote? What is a political process that's based on electing the most electable, versus the most qualified - or even the most popular, candidate? How do you quantify the value of a vote then - it certainly doesn't seem to represent the opinions of the person who cast it, it's rather the reflection of a societal force that is all about game-playing, not electing the right person for the job.

1/08/2008 12:03 AM  
Blogger Foofa said...

I don't think the results in Iowa cemented anything. That being said, things could change tonight.

1/08/2008 10:19 AM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

i'm voting for the tazor kid.

1/08/2008 1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think being the most electable is mutually exclusive from most experienced or popular. But I do think that your vote counts this year more than any other year in our recent history (Google: "Super duper Tuesday"). As a Californian, your voice (vote) has been moved up by one month..and this will actually be the day the nominations should be set in stone.
My predictions for Clinton and Obama: Clinton's playing it safe, steadfast and strong is not moving enough...She needs to take a risk on the left...e.g.- advocate some drastic Climate Change Combat approaches...because the people opting for Edwards and Obama are not seeing this in Mrs. Clinton.

The only thing Republicans have against Obama is his cocaine use...watch out for this later in the year when they will try and Swift-boat Obama about his "reckless" youth.

You see Ms. Indigo, MY candidate is doing just fine...I'm sorry about yours.

1/08/2008 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home