Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Voice

No matter how lame I get with my blogging, I manage to stay up-to-date with Dooce, because she never fails to make me laugh - and laughter has been the most necessary of medicines lately. Last week she linked to an amazing website, the Daily Coyote, and it's writer's other blog, Vespa Vagabond. I am taken by what little of Shreve's journey that I've seen based on these two blogs, but recognize in her writing and way of life a willingness to embrace life in a way I hope to. One of her posts caught my eye and with her permission I'm sharing it with you:

Going Somewhere, Always
Between the head and the heart is the voice, and our voice reflects our choices: the way we reconcile what we think and what we feel; what we know and what we desire. Our voice reaches the world through the manner in which we live - sound is unnecessary; we show others who we are by the way we go through life, and touch everyone we meet with who we are in that moment.


I have been thinking about such things a lot lately - how I live my life, how I vocalize my choices and how I choose my very words. While I was in D.C., a friend and I had a discussion with someone who didn't talk much (well, not nearly as much as we did) and he explained that as a multi-linguist, he's come to have an appreciation for words that most people don't. In short, he doesn't like to waste them. I think actions are the same ways - how many things do we do that we don't even think about? Habits, reactions - the stuff that makes up our day to day lives, that fills the space?

I really haven't had the words or the actions to communicate what's been going on between my head and my heart the last six months, and perhaps that's why this spoke to me in such a way. Because I want to get back to (or find for the first time?) a place where the space between head and heart is an open book. I want my voice out there - not just in words, but in actions. Not just in actions, but in words.

5 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

I swear that I am the only person in the world that just doesn't get Dooce.

She's okay, but I honestly don't understand the hype.

12/04/2007 1:51 PM  
Blogger Lemon Gloria said...

I liked this post. Since we talked I have thought a lot about what you said about Africa, and how your experiences were so vast and life-altering, and you were having trouble processing them all.

12/04/2007 2:06 PM  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

So what does that mean? Will this quest also afect your writing? Will we be seeing more or less of you in your blog?

12/05/2007 9:45 AM  
Blogger S'Mat said...

Dr. S'mat! prescribes Psilocybin.
Taken with reverence, these contemplative delights have, among other wonders, extraordinary effects on radicalizing semantics and conceptual loquacity. You might have reservations about such a suggestion, but the effects are pure and startlingly restorative.
Many believe that they pre-date religion, and extreme academic advocates (among which can be counted ethnobotanists such as Terrence McKenna, Wade Davis and the grand-daddy of psychoactive research, Richard Shultes) even suppose that they were instrumental in the selective evolution of the consciousness.

Wow. Don't I look the unsavoury character... Lurking on your blog... Condoning strange concoctions!? Wish these subjects weren't so taboo. Anyway, good luck, and I do so hope you find the connective tissue you seek!

Dr. S'Mat! (limited credentials)
ps. Currently, I feel the same disjunction, so, at least you have an affiliate in satelite!

12/06/2007 10:25 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I too, love the dooce.

It's a chick thing maybe Peter, that you just don't get it. although you do claim to be a 13 year old girl sometimes...so...

She's poignant, heartbreaking real, and hilariously well spoken.

12/06/2007 11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home