Thursday, October 18, 2007

Raising Auntie

Life's a bit up in the air for me lately with some unexpected decisions regarding work and school and I'll be honest, things aren't working out like I thought they would when I left my job and started moving towards the unknown.

One thing that hasn't changed is how exciting it is to be living near my youngest nephew, and getting to see him every few days and be a part of his life. Of course I'm also learning a lot about how quickly kids can get themselves into trouble. Like last week, no more than three minutes into babysitting I found myself following him into the bathroom, and in my attempts to keep him from unrolling all the t.p. he lost his balance and grabbed the toilet seat (meaning fingers underneath the seat!!!) to steady himself. Just call me auntie hygiene. Then, a couple of days ago my sister-in-law was trying to find something suitable for Dexter to play with when they stopped by my place. After surveying what was available she was forced to settle on a candle holder filled with small bits of beach glass that Dexter enjoyed sifting through and learning the importance of "DON'T EAT THAT." Later that night I realized that Dexter has inherited a small nunzilla I bought for my brother's Christmas stocking a few years ago. It has sparks that fly out of its mouth when you wind it up. SUPER kid friendly.

So ya, life goes on and kids will be kids - and I'm just glad that I'm here while this one's still running around sticking his hands into toilets and playing with glass.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger S'Mat said...

this monkey sounds like a handful! reminded me of this picture that my good friend posted on her blog...

10/18/2007 7:38 PM  
Blogger Indiana James said...

Ah Dexter, I could totally see him being the adventurous type. Good for him, and good for him that you're about too.

10/19/2007 9:52 AM  
Blogger ~Justin said...

Ahah! There you are. I'd missed you for a while; thought you disappeared. I'm glad to be back.

10/19/2007 2:41 PM  
Blogger Grad School Reject said...

Geez M.I., you are such a stick in the mud when it comes to kids playing :P

Glad Dex has you close by.

10/20/2007 10:44 AM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

s'mat - that picture is hilarious! I can't help but hope and pray it was staged, but somehow it looks pretty realistic...

James - and you are on of a precious few who have had the pleasure of meeting him in person :)

Justin - enjoying our correspondance!

GSR - I know, I know. I really need to loosen up - maybe I'll practice next time by letting him play with electrical chords.

10/22/2007 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home