Monday, September 24, 2007

This post is, like, 5 years out of date...


Why I hate "The Bachelor":

1) Women willingly putting themselves in the position to be mocked.
2) There is virtually NO ethnic diversity, and when there is, the guy still goes for the blonds or "white" brunettes. It just screams to society that in America, the picture perfect marriage is never multi-racial.
3) This guy gets to make out with EVERYONE - he's got all the choice in the world, while these women have only one - and yet they ALL fall head over heels for him. I don't get it - you show up and suddenly you're in love?
4) Whereas in real life, when you make yourself vulnerable it sometimes leads to finding the right person, on The Bachelor, it just means a lot of viewers get to laugh at you, and the beeyatch on your right can sweep in and make her move.

I'm sure this is surprising given my history with AYMW (notice the new website), but I'd like to plead my case. At least with AYMW women (and one man and one couple!) had one-on-one time with Allan. Further, I think the vast majority of us didn't go into it thinking we were going to find our soul mate - it was for fun! I get taking a chance on finding love in an unconventional way (it seems to have worked for Allan and heck, I'm dating a guy who lives in France), but I don't like that being on a reality t.v. show now dictates to beautiful and intelligent (well, a few of them appear to be intelligent) women that if a hot, wealthy guy is standing in front of you, he's destined to be your soul mate. I know that's what we all dream for - but I guess any woman who hasn't learned by now that love is just not that simple deserves whatever grief The Bachelor gives her.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

You mean I'm NOT going to wander into a room with a dozen women, make out with all of them, and then get to pick my favourite?

Well, that's a fine kick in the pants.

9/25/2007 6:15 AM  
Blogger Rita said...

I hated this show as I hate most of the reality shows where a guy goes on TV looking for 'the' right person. Dont this women get disgusted knowing he kissed them all? he had naughty thoughts about them all? yuck!
Anyway, as you know... none of the previous bachelors are with the chicks they picked.

9/25/2007 10:23 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

I hate that kind of thing too. Even worse is the one where there are two teams of women, one in their 40s, one in their 20s. It just burns my bacon to see women degrade themselves in that way.

And I thought the AYMW thing was similar, although not totally like tv. The thing that bugged me about it was the way he would talk about women in such a sort of evaluatory way, as though love is something that lends itself to rational evaluation. (I'm referring to your update post about it, from memory of course.)

9/26/2007 11:15 AM  
Blogger X said...

Ahaha...I hate the bachelor too. I watched it only once, when it was in Paris (my favourite city in the world). even then I couldn't get through more than a few episodes.

9/27/2007 8:42 AM  
Blogger S'Mat said...

I'd imagine the Bachelor being secretly named Are You My Future Ex-Husband? Seriously. For the simple putrid premise and all the denigrating 'activities' and psychological assault courses these volunteers run, I can still see the scene-selection and editing processes trying to make these poor fools look even sillier.
I'd sue and sue some more (though they probably signed waivers, it's still defamation of character).
If I was the Bachelor, like, HAD to be the Bachelor, I'd try and smuggle the good ones off the set. Like, eliminate the ones WITH character so they're values wouldn't be dissected later. That is, after a good snog or two though!

9/27/2007 8:45 AM  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

Ye, but have you watched "Flavor of Love" "I Love New York" or "Rock of Love"?? Those shows are awesome.

;-)

9/27/2007 9:36 AM  
Blogger Foofa said...

I agree 100%. All those find your perfect match shows grate on my nerves. I also second the lack of diversity. They always have one or two Black women and maybe an Asian or a Latina (rarely both) and they usually make it through a few shows because it looks too bad to kick them off right away (unless here are two, then one can go) but they never make it too far. Have any relationships from these shows worked out? Actually I think one may have but still, not a good record.

9/28/2007 9:49 AM  
Blogger Grad School Reject said...

I'll second [Cherry]'s comment on Rock of Love. While I hate all traditional bachelor shows, something about Rock of Love sucked me in.

9/29/2007 12:58 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Ugh, AMEN.

9/29/2007 8:16 PM  
Blogger Airam said...

I hate that show too. Why does it not surprise me that none of the bachelors ended up with who they picked?

10/01/2007 7:04 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

That list could have easily been called "Top 4 Reasons It's Good To Be the Bachelor."

Except for the racial component. Although, he gets to hand pick whatever he wants, so that's a plus for him, if he picks based on race, hey, that's his choice.

Me, I don't see people in terms of color. I'd pick the women solely based on breast size.

10/02/2007 8:51 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

ok - everyone's comments here make me so happy. I've been so busy and haven't been posting very much and you are all still stopping by - so lovely. And, the fact that you all agree with me doesn't hurt either!

xoxo

-moodindigo

10/03/2007 1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home