Friday, August 31, 2007

Some thoughts on the south

My week here in t-storm riddled Alabama is coming to a close. As I sipped on my world-famous bushwhacker last night I contemplated what I'd learned about the South in my short stay, and here's what I came up with.

1) People are nice here. Even the graffiti is nice here. We went to the monstrous Flora-Bama last night and the place is more or less decorated with magic marker and people's personal tags: "I heart Joe S. 4-ever!" and "Katie and Brian on their honeymoon, 7-2-03." I kid you not, the entire bathroom, the tables, the walls, even portions of the ceiling - full of this stuff and all of it NICE. Quaint memories or odes to friendship and young love - I even found this on the stall I chose to frequent in the ladies room, "Don't worry, the perfect man is out there. Be patient - good things await!" Who, after a tub of beers and margaritas retreats to the restroom and writes that? If we were in California the ink would go something like this, "Cheryl S. is a CUNT." or "Bobby isn't a good lay, he's GAY."

2) When a band is playing in a noisy bar, people listen. There was an amazing blues band last night and a full bar - and everyone listened. In Cali, everyone would just let the band be background noise as they got progressively drunk, noisy and inappropriate.

3) People like to make friends here. A couple that was sitting to our right was approached by a guy who appeared to be a close friend. I couldn't hear what they were saying (I was too busy listening to the band) but they seemed to be catching up, having a nice visit. When he walked away, however, he extended his hand to introduce himself to the two of them - so clearly they'd just met. It just gives me a nice, warm feeling inside to see people be friendly like this.


(Please note the awesomeness of a shirt that says, "Your mom was here.")

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Foofa said...

Love the shirt! I have noticed that niceness in the south but have also got many hateful stares. I think I'm obviously "strange"

9/04/2007 2:32 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

WHOA! I am going to have to stop you right there.

I know Cheryl S. and she is simply... misunderstood.

9/04/2007 2:39 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

Aw, cute.

That totally goes against what I thought about the south. More along the lines of that bottles thrown at the cage in Blues Brothers. Or Borat.

9/04/2007 2:50 PM  
Blogger Indiana James said...

Good people and random niceties kick ass. I like.

9/04/2007 3:31 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

This was the highlight of my trip though. On our way into Flora-Bama we had to pay a $3 cover charge. The Frenchman got confused because he had to hand the money to the mullet on the right, while the mullet on the left gave us our hand stamp. For their services, they gave us the opportunity to tip them with a monstrous tip jar (empty, I might add) between the two women.

9/05/2007 10:49 AM  
Blogger Airam said...

How cute are the two of you?

9/05/2007 7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny...
I was in Alabammer at the beginning of this summer.

Some things I learned down there:

1.) How to suck the head of a crawfish/crawdad.

2.) Mentioning Nascar is a great conversation starter

3.) Although very polluted, the Gulf is very warm

4.) Fried food is king- Fried Green Tomatoes, Fried Scrimp, Fried Fish...yum

5.) Although many there love their Nascar...Talledega Nights was not a big hit down there...many were actually offended

6.) Governor Wallace (the one who blocked Alabama campus doors during integration, then later shot) repented for his sins and actually became very liberal. Most of the actual state legislature and state senate is actually a Democrat majority.

I had a lot of fun there!

9/06/2007 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home