Thursday, August 16, 2007

The playboy next door

The room I'm staying in in my parents houses is right next to my dad's office. Each room has a door that enters our middle bathroom and are catty corner to each other, and there's another (albeit out of use) door right next to the bathroom connecting the two rooms. The multitude of doors, combined with the age of the house (50+ years) means there is very little soundproofing, and I frequently overhear my dad while he's in his office. Recent snippets have included:

"Because God knows, if things were different, I'd love to spend my life with you."

or,

"I never did get to see you naked all those years ago."

I admit, the first couple times I overheard such things I was a bit alarmed. But in truth, it's nothing to be worried about. My dad is actually writing a book, and being of poor eyesight and even poorer typing skills, he's using a software that lets him "talk" his book, rather than type it. It's entertaining, to say the least, and I admire his commitment to his writing and the process he's going through to pursue his ideas. When it comes right down to it, he's doing a much better job than I am, at the moment, of getting my ideas out there.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Well, that scared the crap out of me!

Sneaky!

8/16/2007 8:42 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

whoa. that was RAD. what kind of book is this?

8/16/2007 10:20 PM  
Blogger Sparky said...

Neat!

8/16/2007 10:56 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I beg to differ, Meghan - the way you wrote this smacks of a novelist-to-be!

8/17/2007 6:06 AM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

This would be even funnier/scary if you knew him :) Re: Saraleigh's question - as far as I can tell it's a coming of age story of a handsome guy who builds himself up from meager beginnings and has all sorts of adventures and affairs along the way. The first part I think my dad has heavily infused with his own story, the second part I think he's drawing more on his imagination for!

p.s. - Thanks Heather!

8/17/2007 9:22 AM  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

How cool! Good luck to him in completing it.

8/17/2007 7:15 PM  
Blogger Airam said...

Ha! For a second I thought maybe your moms was in the room too!

8/17/2007 11:52 PM  
Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

That scared the crap out of me too! Almost as much as the time I walked into my parents having sex... ALMOST, that is. Man, you never get over something like that. Keep hearing weird things, and not seeing them!

8/20/2007 7:46 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

Oh, my gosh my heart went out to you-- then I finished reading. Way to captivate!

8/20/2007 1:53 PM  
Blogger Indiana James said...

My initial reaction was just that of the others. The lines brought me back to a movie called Salt On Our Skin that I somewhat was subjected to viewing the other day. Sounds like an interesting story that he's going about writing. Good for your dad. I could take a cue or two from him and get off my ass to start putting ideas to paper.

8/21/2007 11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home