Monday, August 13, 2007

Back to Hippyland

After a gorgeous week at the cabin during which only 9 of 13 of us got the stomach flu, I spent the day watching my nephew Dexter. I was called on to babysit so my brother and his wife could spend the morning at Highland hospital getting her Rabies' vaccination started. This is funny/terrifying for all sorts of reasons - the first being she was straight up bum rushed by a raccoon. Picture this - she's walking her dog, the dog corners a nearly grown baby raccoon and out of nowhere mama raccoon appears in mid-air propelling herself towards and eventually attaching herself to my sister-in-law's thigh. Interestingly enough, this did not happen at our mountain retreat (apparently the raccoons in that are have been "de-populated" by Fish and Game), but in their neighbor's front yard in Oakland. The scariest part is that though rabies is extremely unlikely, if you do get it you pretty much foam at the mouth a little, go stark raving mad and die - so the decision was made not to take any chances. For these reasons they ended up at Highland Hospital on Saturday morning - the Bay Area hospital notorious for it's (life)support over the years to the victims and perpetrators of gang warfare in East Oakland. Let's just count our blessings they didn't have to go in on a Friday or Saturday night.

After babysitting I met up with a few friends to brave the raccoon-infested streets and grab a drink nearby. We ended up at a Cato's Alehouse after my 28 year-old friend was turned away from the first place we stopped because he'd lost his ID. At Cato's we ordered cocktails - our first party foul given we were at a bar that specializes in beer, only to find out (but not really process until we tasted our drinks) that this bar uses Soju in lieu of hard liquor. With only a beer and wine license they've only recently found a way around serving hard liquor by offering Soju cocktails instead. My brother thinks this is allowed thanks to the petitions of Korean Immigrants who have ensured Soju's availability even without a liquor license for culturally relevant purposes. For the record, I support any cultural activities that result in a buzz, but I could do without the fiery hiccups this stuff gave me.

The highlight of the evening came in catching yet another bizarro snippet of conversation from a guy seated behind us. As our table reached a momentary lull in our conversation I heard his voice break the brief silence and say, "The meat always stays fresh because I know how to use a condom." Um...?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

god I was going through withdrawals. seriously woman, why don't you inform me of every detail of your life so I don't think you don't love me anymore when you don't post. ok, kidding. but glad to hear that your vacation went (reasonably minus stomach flu) well.

8/13/2007 6:21 PM  
Blogger Indiana James said...

Boooo to rabies. I have resorted to biting back, and it seems to have held me in good stead so far. As for wrapping it up to keep fresh... Actually, I've got nothing for that one, that is just odd / wrong / disturbing. Was there more to that conversation or did you just tune out?

8/13/2007 9:49 PM  
Blogger Lemon Gloria said...

Hmm - so many points to address in this post! 1. Rabies is sooo scary. It's as you said - as soon as you have any symptoms, you're dead. There's just nothing they can do. 2. I'm not a huge soju fan, but it is apparently a very popular way to get around a hard liquor license, 3. That overheard comment? Um?, and last but not least, 4. I was wondering how you were!

8/14/2007 6:58 AM  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

I am scared to death of racoons. I would have suffered a heart attack had one jumped on my leg.

8/14/2007 9:37 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

The incident with your aunt sounds awful!

8/14/2007 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home