Thursday, August 23, 2007

5 days in Foley


So far the perks of having a darling French boyfriend have not yet included romantic strolls through the renowned city de l'amour. Nope, next stop for us is not Paris, but Foley. Alabama. That's right, the Southern Coast. A veritable dream for a Cali girl like myself...

I suppose I should withhold judgement until I go, perhaps I'm just starting to be swayed by the look of worry on every ones face when they have to ask me where I will be seeing Richard next, and Foley is my response. I don't think anyone has anything against the South, per se, but there does seem to be some concern regarding visiting the South in the summer. Or, as my mom pointed out, in the middle of hurricane season.

It won't be the first time I plan a trip to a weather-challenged local - I spent the fall of 2002 in Costa Rica during the four rainiest months of the year. That said, there were few, if any, hurricane warnings while I was there.

While we're living it up in Foley (I should explain - Richard will be there for work, I will be there for Richard, but working from the hotel for the week), we hope to find a theater showing Julie Delpy's new movie, "2 Days in Paris." I admit, I'm a bit nervous - both to see a movie that shoves the challenges of a cross cultural (and in our case, cross-continental) relationship in our face, as well as to partake in the reality of said movie later this year when my non-French speaking ass makes her way to Paris.

Wish me luck, dear readers, that I make it through the hurricanes, through the movie and eventually onto a plane that is headed to France to discover for myself what it's like to be in love in such a city. Until then, I'll think of you while I'm toasting my more immediate love reunion in the deep South:

"Enjoy sighting and photographing the many species of native wildlife. With an estuary nearby, you may spot a flycatcher, a hummingbird, a plover, or butterflies such as the Gulf Fritillary, Monarch, or Spicebush Swallowtail. This area earns its title as the “Golf” Coast with more than a dozen professionally designed golf courses." Ah...Foley.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

My look would have been one of confusion.

I've never even heard of Foley.

I've course I'm Canadian, so what do I know?

But, good luck!

8/24/2007 9:49 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

ah the things we do in the name of love. brave bad hair and humidity of alabama? you betcha.

8/24/2007 11:37 AM  
Blogger Foofa said...

Alabama? Then again, it isn't where you are but who you are with that makes a good time.

8/24/2007 1:47 PM  
Blogger Airam said...

That's a cool pic ... well probably not cool for the people feeling the wrath of that vortex. Anyways.

Have fun .. you'll be with your french man! Yay!

8/24/2007 2:58 PM  
Blogger Grad School Reject said...

Have fun on the trip. My guess is you won't even notice Foley because you will be so caught up in your reunion. And the South isn't that bad - lots of very polite people down there. That said, there are of course a few assholes :)

Be safe, and I'm looking forward to the updates.

8/25/2007 6:28 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

2 days in Paris isn't romantic. It turns out that Julie Delpy is like the female Woody Allen.

8/28/2007 4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home