Thursday, December 13, 2007

Good things

Something has changed for me this Christmas. It's due in large part to the fact I did most of my Christmas shopping in Africa, so I'm avoiding the insanity of finding that perfect something for all my perfect someones. This year I've actually started writing Christmas cards - and more importantly, updating my address book so that I can do the same next year. And I just have this feeling that the holidays really do represent more than the materialism we all get sucked up in. Maybe it's because the housing crisis is keeping everyone a bit more humbled (and I'm sure the fact I don't have a t.v. and don't see the incessant advertisements about the latest gadgets you NEED under your tree helps). It could be that I finally got the hell out of Orange County... Regardless, it just seems that the true spirit of a holiday meant to represent the ultimate gift is finally coming into focus for me on a greater level than it ever has.

The real reason, I know, is because I had to do a lot of growing up this year. I took in on the most base of levels the reality of what's out there in the world, and what's being done (or not done) to combat it. I lost the safety of "home" in a real way - it is now a place where I must face life's challenges and curve balls with the same strength as those around me - there's no more candy coating. I've been starting fresh all year - new places, new jobs, new understandings. So it fits that Christmas would change as well. That it's no less sweet, but that it become more a time to ask myself and the world around me what's going out - versus what's coming in.

Whether any of this makes sense or not - here are some links to help your holiday season reflect all that is good in the world and give you the chance to share your holidays in a meaningful way with people around the globe:


World of Good
- Shopping never felt so good
Ten Thousand Villages - Still time to order!
KIVA - Change a life on behalf of someone you love

Enjoy - and feel free to share your own resources for an outward, versus inward, focused holiday.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Foofa said...

I have found that most people I know, myself included, have wanted less this year and wanted to give more from the heart. Strange but nice.

12/13/2007 11:03 AM  
Blogger Grad School Reject said...

Lovely post. If I disappear for a little while (much needed vacation coming up) continue to enjoy the holiday season and be well.

12/14/2007 7:41 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Great post.

And yay! for you being all Xmasy.

12/14/2007 9:18 AM  
Blogger Airam said...

I'm so with you on this. Lately I've been feeling the exact same way.

12/16/2007 4:38 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

Yay! I knew it wasn't just me - there's really something in the air :)

12/17/2007 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been on a knitting and cookie-baking binge for everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, in my immediate life - postman, guys at the neighborhood bar, Friends, my roommates...I think homemade things, be they baked goods or wonky knitted accessories, are the best things in the world, because you actually have to put time into them, and it makes me feel less materialistic and like less of a consumer to give people I care about something I created.

Of course, some folks aren't getting their presents by Christmas Day, but I can't help being a remedial knitter.

:P

12/20/2007 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home