Thursday, July 31, 2008

changing it up

Man, I look at my blog archives and I really used to write here. Oh, how I miss that! I don't know what it is about this year that writing has not been the medium with which I pour forth all that's been swirling around inside. I've tried not to be too hard on myself, but at the same time I know that writing is a discipline, and all the various benefits (the catharsis, the processing, the support from those who choose to read your words) are the result of such work. Perhaps it's that I'm not ready to process it all, that this year has been about reaching out and identifying the tools I'll need to work through it, when I'm ready. It's definitely involved a fair amount of holding others up in their times of struggle - perhaps the best therapy there can be when you're in the midst of your own.

I have been doing a lot of writing in my head - especially in preparation for my departure for Kenya (mid September!) and will get a new blog to chronicle that experience up soon. I know that I will need to write about this. I pray that I'll have the stamina to process it all on the page - because it is by far the biggest thing I've done yet (and the scariest, and most exciting!). I want to be present in the whole experience, and I know writing will be key.

I have found my voice off the page in a more literal sense this year, and after sending a pretty lame garage band recording (voice/guitar only) of a Coldplay song to some friends, my dear friend Phil returned the following to me. Since I've offered so little by way of words on the page lately, here's a bit of my actual voice. Thanks to those of you who still visit this space, share your own words and are keeping your stories going on your own blogs. I treasure this community and look forward to sharing my next steps with you!

boomp3.com

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Essentially Me said...

Beautiful voice! What a great cover!

8/01/2008 4:40 AM  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

How cool! Good for you!

8/01/2008 11:09 AM  
Blogger Lemon Gloria said...

Megan, you sound beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I look forward to reading about your move and your processing. Big hugs to you.

8/05/2008 5:31 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Such a huge fan of the Megan voice.

8/06/2008 9:28 AM  
Blogger MontrealGurl said...

Lovelovelove it!!!

8/06/2008 1:42 PM  
Blogger S'Mat said...

Yeow! Yet another talent of yours reveals itself. Simply gorgeous and, though I'm biased (i like you and don't like coldplay), I think better than the original.

8/15/2008 1:59 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I've been blogging a lot less too, due to other writing projects, but it is good to hear from the good people.

8/18/2008 11:41 AM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

Thanks all! So nice to see all your smiling faces (i.e. avatars) in this space after all this time.

8/18/2008 4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home