Wednesday, July 23, 2008

overflow

I was sitting at dinner tonight having a heavy discussion with my dad when I was struck with an image. I saw a delicate pottery bowl with a beautiful glaze reminiscent of a blue tile-bottomed pool. In the bowl, which was deeper than a normal bowl, was crystal clear water. If the bowl was set down and still, the reflection from the glaze would make it hard to see the liquid therein - it would be just one fluid piece of mass. But if you were to pick up the bowl and try to walk with it, the water would start to move around the interior, banking against its perfectly smooth sides, gaining momentum with each step as it would slosh forward, then back, then forward again. At any moment it would threaten to break over the side of the dish, to make its presence known on the ground or surroundings outside of the glazed haven it comes from.

How then to keep such liquid still? How then to prepare the world for its inevitable overflow? How then to prepare yourself?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Foofa said...

Walk softly and carry paper towels.

7/24/2008 9:32 AM  
Blogger MontrealGurl said...

I say run wildly without abandon. You will always have a beautiful bowl you can refill.

7/25/2008 12:24 PM  
Blogger Lemon Gloria said...

I'm somewhere in between the two comments. I don't think you should worry so much about spilling over; I also don't think you should constantly fret about cleaning up if you do. I imagine you're out of control - because so many things moving forward are outside your control. Which is OK, as long as you can get to a place where it's OK with you.

7/29/2008 10:17 AM  
Blogger S'Mat said...

part of me says slowly start spinning with it, so's to make centrifuge. another would say put wildflowers around the bowl's lip. or you could leave them outside the bowl, and splash on them as you traipse by? where should the water be appreciated?
this is a very elegant koan!

7/29/2008 10:09 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

that thing sounds Built to Spill.

7/31/2008 4:18 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

Natalie - advice I should head on a daily basis!

Eileen - thank you dear.

Lisa - Ya, working on that. Sometimes I definitely have that sense that none of it's in my control - but there's definitely some comfort in that as well!

s'mat - per usual, you offer enlightenment and wit far worthier than my words deserve.

Dr. Ken - truth be told, it is.

7/31/2008 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can phrase that I acquiesce in with you, but you may be making allowance for other options.
to the article there is even now a suspect as you did in the downgrade delivery of this demand www.google.com/ie?as_q=cleanmypc registry cleaner 4.0 ?
I noticed the utter you have not used. Or you functioning the dark methods of development of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg

2/11/2010 2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home