Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Tomorrow, I'm Off!

First off - thank you too all the Montrealites (someone please tell me if this is an acceptable term?) for the tips on what to visit while I'm in town, and the general insight into the city you offer by way of your individual blogs. I feel like there's something cosmic at work here in that I started this blog about dating however many months ago, started to explore the blogosphere and ended up finding a number of Canadian blogs I was drawn to, managed to interest a few Canadian readers and now I'm headed to your homeland for an actual date. I can't wait!

The Holloween costume is ready to go - I'll post pics as soon as I return :)

On a totally un-related note, I want to take a minute to reflect on just how amazing people can be. While I was getting my morning tea a minute ago I ran into a co-worker who I've chatted with from time to time but don't see very often. I asked her about her studies (she's in school part time to be a nurse) and as we talked I learned about this huge new development in her life. About 6 months ago she took over guardianship for a friend's 6 and 8 year olds after she passed away. She's been with her husband for 15 years, they could never have children and earlier in the year she'd finally made peace with it. She says a week later these children came into her life. Perhaps it wasn't what she originally envisiones when dreaming of being a mother, but look how it turned out. I am just wowed when people are open to life developing like this - especially when it involves caring for someone else in the process. On a similar note, my parents have spent the last year or so volunteering as CASAs (Court Appointed Special Advocates) for four girls that have been in and out of the foster system due to their parents long-time struggles with alcohol. My parents have stepped in to advocate on their behalf, spending countless hours going above and beyond the call of duty to not only care for these amazing girls, but to help their parents as much as possible so that in the long run, this family can someday be reunited. For these girls, these are the grandparents they've never had - and they've really developed a great relationship. Again, I am just wowed - handling their case is not easy, it's stressful and time consuming and my parents know they have a lot of responsibility as they make recommendations that will affect the girls' futures. But this is what it means to love, to open yourself up beyond the life that you're given or make for yourself and to let something else in - often more rewarding than anything you could have expected.

So there are some warm fuzzies on this gray morning. I'll try and post from Montreal but if I can't I'll have a full update with pics early next week. Wish me luck!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have done a lot of work with people in state custody. Not children but those about to be aged out of the system, those who have grown out of foster care and have no one but caseworkers to rely on. They all have horror stories of being in the system. Caring for people without families is a hard job. I have so much appreciation and respect for those people who do it.

10/24/2006 11:36 AM  
Blogger S'Mat said...

Yes, good question, what is it we call ourselves? To eachother's face I mean... Recently I've felt I call most people here 'My Ex', but I'm sure that's just an panoptical delusion.
Well M.I., you seem very pleasant, please enjoy the place irresponsibly.
ps. I forgot to mention, if you like spine-grinding techno... try Saphir on Thursday:
INFO
http://ravewave.com/?s=calendar_event&e=14289
and here for a sneak tweak of the restless/relentless DJ of the moment:
http://myspace.com/jordandare

10/24/2006 7:34 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hats off to your parents -that's really admirable.
Have a great trip to Montreal!

10/25/2006 5:39 AM  
Blogger Johnny said...

Montrealers... :)

3/02/2007 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home