Wednesday, October 18, 2006

*UPDATE*

O.k. - the cats out of the bag, kinda. I hinted about a week ago that I had a potentially adventurous date coming up. You can actually read about it (and the project it's a part of) at areyoumywife-dot-blogspot-dot-com. Go to the Halloween date page and the girl flying in from Cali, well, that's me! I first found the site a few months back when I was following the One Red Paperclip story, and thought Allan had a neat idea when taking on the task of finding what he calls a "partner in crime." I wrote in inviting him on a date should he ever be in Southern California - I proposed an "around the world So-Cal style" date that would involve visiting all the various cultural centers around L.A. (Little India, Koreatown, Little Ethiopia), eating yummy food and collecting stories from people we met along the way. Allan liked the idea and would write periodically to keep me posted on his travel plans and let me know when he thought he'd make it to Cali to take me up on my offer. However - when the opportunity to go to Montreal as part of a Halloween event he participates in every year came up, and he encouraged me to come thinking I'd enjoy it (based on the emails we'd exchanged and my date proposal), I took a leap of faith and booked a ticket. I love to travel and Montreal intrigues me - and this will be five days of seeing a city through the eyes of a native son, not to mention meeting a bunch of people that are part of a creative community as they put on what's rumored to be a hell of a Halloween party. I'll be staying with Allan's family and part of my proposal for this date (I had to play by the rules of course) was for him to show me his favorite child hood spots and also to explore any local legends/ghost stories about Montreal in the spirit of Halloween. I leave next Wednesday and will be following up his two most recent dates - rock climbing and scuba diving.

Do I think I might be meeting my future spouse? Probably not. Is it gonna be a hell of a trip and story? Almost certainly :)

A gold star to anyone who can guess my Halloween costume (it plays to the theme) and for all you Canadians - any travel tips or things must see/do in Montreal are welcome!

*edited 10/19 when I realized how intra-blog linking works. Oops.

8 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

What a fabulous date! We'll eagerly be awaiting the details. Good luck!

10/18/2006 11:17 AM  
Blogger Me:The Sequel said...

Very exciting that you are coming to town! And what a cool idea.

10/18/2006 12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun! Will be adding you to my roll also.

10/18/2006 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great time!
Sorry, no idea what your costume is though.

10/18/2006 8:37 PM  
Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

Montreal is absolutely awesome, add these to your list:

St. Viateur Bagel - Montreal bagels are better than New York bagels, I don't care what anyone says about that! Go in the morning when they're hot.

Rubens for a smoked meat sandwich and some strawberry cheesecake.

Rue St. Catherines and Crescent Street for shopping

Go into a department store called Simons, awesome fashions at better prices

Rudsak leather store

Go to a liquor store and get a bottle called Bellini, it's apple flavoured something and it's only widely sold in Montreal, or something like that.

HAVE FUN!

10/18/2006 9:14 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

thanks all - glad no one is taking the "she's crazy" view point (or at least not out loud ;)!

FG - thank you for the recommendations - I will try and hit them all, especially those food and liquor related!

Will post costume pics when I have everything in hand :)

10/19/2006 8:20 AM  
Blogger S'Mat said...

hello..
i just wanted to throw in another angle on the 'Montreal'... i'm not particularly fond of crescent street (largely because i can't afford it, though i did work there for a while.. sorry FG, but i didn't particularly enjoy the experience)
here goes, the list is longish..
I believe the Old Port does 'ghost tours' this time of year, if not, it's still a most worthy place to visit... old buildings, Notre Dame church and horse-drawn carriages.

For shopping, I'd second FG on the St. C's street, but it's most commercial. If you want a more boutique-y, locally inspired shop-about, trundle up St Laurent Blvd to Mont Royal, go East (great retro-rags stores) and then down St Denis (St. Denis is the French answer to English St. L.)

For bars: St. Laurent and St. Denis largely double for the entertainment centers too. And I know a great deal more about them than I do the shops...
For a dive bar: Bar Des Pins, Miami, Biftek, Bar Fly (great small music events, esp. Vic Vogel's brass band practice on Monday evenings) and Roy Bar
For class/scene: Pistol, Blizzarts (music), Resevoir, Salon Daome, Tokyo (wednesday's are fun and quieter).
For hipster: Casa Del Popolo, Korova, Green Room (Thomas von Party's dance night is good)...
For French: Divan Orange, L'Esco, Quai des Brumes and L'Barouf (all on St. Denis, except Divan Orange on St. L)
I will likely be at one of these bars while you are here! Enjoy...

10/20/2006 6:19 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

thanks for the many recs Thomas - I'll keep my eye out for ya!

10/23/2006 4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home