Tuesday, November 07, 2006

too. tired. to. type.

...but alas, in the spirit of NaBloPoMo, I'm trying to at least keep up an every other day posting routine. Today I worked as a "coordinator" for the election. It's never been even remotely suggested that I have any coordination as a person at all - my total lack of coordination being largely responsible for never playing any organized sports, deciding not to become a conductor, and for the many bumps and bruises I frequently sport from any variety of 'walking' injuries. Still, the Orange County Registrar of Voters found me suitable for coordinating, and so I dutifully left my house at 6:00 a.m. this morning to start my rounds. Here are some observations on American voting:

1) Though many voters would argue to the death about America's democratic supremacy, these same voters are very likely to complain loudly from the moment they reach the polls, and make such statements as, "it's not rocket science" and "they lose my info every time" to the often elderly poll worker dutifully trying to get them through the voting process

2) Unpleasant voters not withstanding, there are still always very sweet elderly people who proudly don their ROV nametags and spend an entire day reading very small print and setting up heavy voting machines to help their neighbors vote.

It's kind of like the best and worst of America rolled into one. The complainers, and the folks that have been around and know that no matter what, they believe in their country and are still looking for ways to serve it - no matter how much their neighbors disrespect the process.

I will say this - as opposed to the absolute heart falling out of my chest feeling I had on this night two years ago, it was nice to get a little burst of enthusiasm when I heard the Democrats had regained a majority in the House. I'm no longer the political junkie I once was, and as I cast my votes for my state propositions I was reminded once again how important it is to isolate issues for what they are and not allow a two-party system to completely dominate the political landscape - but something's got to give in D.C. and this is a nice start. Now, if the Dems can just get their act together! Seriously. Please? Nancy? Hillary? ANYONE. GET IT TOGETHER.

O.k., political post coming to an end.

2 Comments:

Blogger With Love, Fat Girl said...

Aww man! Didn't see this until it was too late! Sniff.

11/08/2006 6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought they almost weren't going to let me vote because when i signed my paper the election lady said it didn't look much like the registration signature. Granted, a strange signature came out of my pen but it happens. At least the natalie part looked the same. She admonished me and said that I should try harder to sign the same. At least she let me vote though

11/08/2006 8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home