Thursday, November 09, 2006

DREAMS

When I was in Montreal I got to record an entry in Allan's 'Book of Dreams.' It's funny how I spend 99.9% of my life day dreaming and yet when confronted with identifying and clarifying what my dreams are, I had a hard time knowing just what to commit to. In the book, I broke it up into "personal dreams," "dreams for the world," and "dreams with my man." I tried to document my core hopes. On a personal basis that means building a career in the field of Corporate Responsibility, on the world level it means seeing us evolve as a human race and continue (or start!) to strive for peace, and on a love level - it means finding someone to journey through life with, laugh a lot, raise amazing children and see the world. Oh, and "make sweet, sweet love," - that was in there too.

But, sitting here whiling away my day, taking far too many ADD breaks, I started a simpler list of things I would love to do or see in this lifetime - not because they represent any major role I hope to play in the world, or the culmination of a master plan (o.k. a few definitely do) - but because they just seem really, really cool. So here's my starter list:

1. Attend an art auction at Christies or Sotheby's.
2. Visit Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany.
3. Adopt
4. Learn French
5. Sing back-up for a musician I admire (not professionally - just for fun)
6. Buy my mom a sassy car (I've always pictured her in a 70's mercedes convertible)
7. Help produce a film
8. Lobby congress in Washington D.C.
9. Have an opinion piece or op-ed published in a major circular
10. Learn some metalsmithing so I can design/make jewelry

That's my random starter list. What's yours?

3 Comments:

Blogger S'Mat said...

10, right? hmmm
1. Build a tree house
2. Finish starting my novel
3. Give up for adoption
4. Buy my mother's mortgage for her
5. Fix up a live-aboard sailboat
6. Learn to sail a sailboat
7. Found a community art promotion bureau
8. Travel North Africa, from Morocco to Turkey
9. Blow glass
10. Attain an architecture degree (later in life)

11/09/2006 4:28 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

Very interesting. Lemme try:

1. Visit all 50 states.
2. Visit the Baseball Hall of Fame
3. Take my dad to the Daytona 500.
4. Retire in a condo over the Puget Sound.
5. Spend more time freelance writing in my spare time.
6. Run with the bulls at Pamplona.
7. Attend a Notre Dame football game.
8. Visit Ground Zero
9. Punch Donald Rumsfeld in the face.
10. Look back on a great, long marriage to my wife.

11/10/2006 1:05 PM  
Blogger MontrealGurl said...

Thanks for the exercise... made me really think.

1. Travel Eastern Europe, Prague specifically
2. Have a conversation with my sisters
3. Learn to let go
4. Work for a non-profit organization
5. Visit Chiang Mai, Thailand
6. Play the violin, well
...wow, this is tougher than I thought...
7. Build a home with someone I love, having children ties into this too
8. Invent a board game
9. Publish my book
10. Finish this list... Check!

11/10/2006 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home