Wednesday, December 06, 2006

lovers overheard

A moment ago my roommate's boyfriend finally triumphed over L.A. traffic and arrived at our door. I could hear them from the other room - the smiles on their faces, the joy in their voices, the warmth of the hug they wouldn't let go. A simple moment I've experienced with them countless times - and yet each time I'm touched by it. They just celebrated their first year together, and as he told me in the kitchen a moment ago, they've "never been happier." He makes her giggle and makes up for all the hugs she misses throughout the day. They spend the weekends together because they live about an hour apart, and one of them makes the trek once a week so they can have a weeknight together too. They recently started a vigorous cheese making process based on his Christmas present to her last year (a promise to do just that - make cheese). It was the perfect gift.

I lived with my roommate for a year and a half before they met. I'll be honest - sometimes I didn't know if the person she was waiting for existed. And then just before Christmas last year, this lovely little romance unfolded and I got to see a relationship start and hold in the best of ways. It's open, honest, joyful, romantic and low stress. You couldn't find a more worthwhile recipient than her - and it's almost as gratifying to see how happy she makes him as it is to see her face glow when he shows up at our place.

When it started I worried I'd lost an important ally in my singlehood. It didn't take long to realize I'd gained an example of exactly what a relationship should be, right in my front room and catering to the heart of one of my dearest friends, instead.

7 Comments:

Blogger g string addict said...

ooo... i read this, and i get teary - its ok, from happiness.
*hugs*

12/06/2006 11:34 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

It's so refreshing to see someone able to be truly happy for a wonderful relationship of one of their friends. Good for you.

12/07/2006 8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw.....That is so sweet. I always feel resentful when my friends get a new love interest, mainly because I'm one of those idiots who do it for the love rather than the sex and thus, never have a boyfriend. Mind you, I am very happy because the person I've been in love with for nearly three years is back in my life, kind of. I have his mobile no, which is a definate start. Now I just have to get him to ditch the girlfriend in London. He calls her his 'Missus'. :-(

12/07/2006 11:25 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

Aw...

There's nothing like a happy couple to bring a (grudging at first) smile to my face.

12/07/2006 5:25 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

well girls - we will expect just as much happiness from those already happily ensconced for us someday, now won't we?

12/08/2006 7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you sure you didn't just hear them coughing to each other?

12/08/2006 4:55 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

k - you're silly. The couple that coughs together, stays together :)

12/09/2006 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home