Sunday, December 03, 2006

Are you my wife: Part deux

So the montrealite visited me this weekend. On Thursday night I left my work at 5:45 to pick him up at the train station. I'd love to insert a picture of the "vision" that met me - but blogger is currently sucking arse so I will simply direct you here instead.

Allan had just finished up date #3 with Nikki, and meeting up with Kyle and the Hitch50 guys for their wrap celebration before they took off for Hawaii. We’d originally planned for our second date to be spending Thanksgiving with my family – a kind of reversal from our first date when I got to meet his family and see his hometown – but the filming project required a crew – and the only time people were free was Thanksgiving weekend.

So he came to visit me where I actually live – most of my family isn’t here but I made sure we called upon some friends so he got to see me in my natural setting and get a taste of what life is like (at least for me) here in The OC.

We had a great weekend – lots of beach time with surfing, walks, naps, good food, movies and friends. Most importantly, we had a lot of time to catch up about where he’s at with AYMW, while I got to give him a bit more insight into who I am and what I’m all about. As you can see by some of the things he’s been sharing on his site lately, Allan is going through a fair amount of transition and life planning himself – and just as I’m looking to 2007 to bring a lot of changes and opportunities to make future plans, he is too. So we had some common ground to share – and I really appreciated the time to get someone else’s perspective on the experience. I will also say that Allan realizes he’s not where he needs to be to be in a position to find a wife just yet – hence his talk about job and location decisions. He doesn’t take this experience lightly – I can speak to that first hand.

But after date #2, where are we? Well, I think we make a good team – we share a lot of similar outlooks on travel, the importance of diversity and culture, the desire to make sure we’re getting the most out of life that we possibly can. We also have some differences – especially in regards to faith – but one thing I am certain of is our ability to discuss things and share and respect our different perspectives. What else? Well, he makes me giggle. He’s very honest, he can be incredibly silly and sometimes a bit snooty about European ways versus us Americans, but always ready with a wink to remind me that he’s really just joking (and chide me on my lack of sarcasm).

After our second time hanging out I am confident that whatever happens with Are You My Wife and our individual quests for love – we’ve both played a part in each others stories and who knows – perhaps that role could grow. Just as neither of us really knows what the new year will bring – I think its hard to say for certain what comes next. And since Allan's opened up a bit on his site - I'll be honest about a question everyone in my life has been asking. No - It's not the easiest thing in the world to date someone who is simultaneously open to dating the rest of the world. It's a challenge if you realize there's an attraction to reconcile that to other attractions that may be growing. But - at least I know I'm in good company - he's got great taste, if I do say so myself. And perhaps the bigger challenge is figuring out if there is a connection - how do you pursue it when there's an ocean in between? Something that might progress or fizzle naturally if you lived in the same area suddenly faces a lot of logistical issues. Allan has started to talk about these challenges a bit - he's also mentioned that he's come across three women in whom he sees "wife-like" qualities. Interestingly enough, none of his commentors thought I was one of them (apparently I don't fit the bill of being one of the most attractive girls he's dated!).

Regardless - Allan started this site because he was ready to find a partner and his dating life was more or less dull. I could relate. His dating life has definitely been spiced up - and as a result mine has as well (albeit on a slightly smaller scale as I've only hit two countries and dated one guy as part of AYMW). No matter what - I've had an opportunity to share some exceptional quality time with an equally exceptional person - and its been an absolute blast.

See more pics here since blogger does not heart our cute pics right now.

11 Comments:

Blogger mysterygirl! said...

Whoa, this is so crazy to me. Not the situation even, so much as it would be weird to have the person you were going on a few dates with cataloguing it online as part of a larger wife-finding project. Does that make things feel more difficult than usual? I mean, as long as you're having fun, that's all that matters!

12/04/2006 1:17 PM  
Blogger mysterygirl! said...

I hope that didn't come across as bitchy-- I just mean that dating can be so high pressure to begin with. :)

12/04/2006 1:18 PM  
Blogger Arthur Willoughby said...

You lead a really interesting life.

And after all that...all the philisophical and relationship questions your respective tales bring flooding to my brain...the question I most want to ask is:

So I'm not alone in being screwed time and time again when trying to post photos via Blogger?

12/04/2006 2:09 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

mysterygirl! -
Ya, it's strange. But I think because I have an online outlet for it as well that helps :)

Apathy - I feel your PAIN. Why!?! Is Beta better with the photos I wonder? Because everything else I hear about Beta is awful, but good lord - to be able to post pics would be nice...

12/04/2006 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's fantastic that you're able to see exactly what this is, right now, and not expect anything from it. If something does come of all this it will be a great big cherry on the sundae of life.

12/04/2006 6:09 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I was hoping he would be your mystery visitor! I love this story, Megan, I think it's awesome.
And please. You're the prettiest by far...

12/05/2006 6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a terrific time! I love your attitude to all this, like montrealgurl said. :-) Go you!

On the no-pictures thing - maybe you could switch to Blogger Beta? It's much easier to upload photos.

12/05/2006 11:33 AM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

Thanks lovely ladies!

And rose - my only fear with blogger beta is right now it's not letting anyone comment on non-beta sites. So until they figure that quirk out I'm gonna hold off...

12/05/2006 12:58 PM  
Blogger S'Mat said...

it sounds as if you two make very good sketch pads for each other. i've never really had someone sit me down and ask me account for my trajectory or projective future (that'd be a very short date, but at least i'd find out whether she snorts when she laughs). your pictures are great, his [post-surfing?] hair is fantastic (and near topical, in a Michael Richards sort of way) and i'm very impressed with how you two can pull off such forthright comraderie with the 'mediation' looming over you two. well done MI! you rule!

ps. the 'pretty' thing: i think you could put that down to meddlesome relatives and underground betting rings trying to influence the outcome. i personally think the laurels safely remain as your crown. also, as an aside, i have quibble with the possible meaning of the 'wife' bit.. i imagine he might pick up some flack on that?

12/05/2006 2:15 PM  
Blogger g string addict said...

pics look really good!!! u r very gorgeous! *hugs*

12/05/2006 4:10 PM  
Blogger Mood Indigo said...

s'mat - your new nomer still makes me giggle. Thanks for your thoughts! I don't think we interviewed each other necessarily on our next steps - rather when you're in the midst of throwing all of life as you know it out the window and taking various steps to the unknown, it's hard not to share with whoever you happen to be with (or have it be present in all that you are doing - at least that's how I'm finding it. My co-workers could attest to this - it's all I talk about!). But maybe I'm not addressing your point exactly...

Also - what do you mean about the 'wife' bit? Do you mean in terms of a traditional definition or whether that's actually what he's looking for? He did get called out on the definition and ended up having a date with a man as a result (hell, if any women want to take me to Switzerland for the weekend I'd be more than willing myself :)

B - merci beaucoup!

12/06/2006 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home